Download our College Backs map before you go.
Shared Cambridge Punt Tours
College Backs Punting Tour
The essential part of any Cambridge experience, our punt tour through the Backs takes you along one of the most beautiful lengths of river in England. Our award-winning tour offers the perfect introduction to Cambridge, so come and enjoy the spectacular views whilst your expert guide brings the city’s fascinating story to life.
We run scheduled 45-minute shared punting tours every day and these can be joined on a walk-up basis and cannot be booked in advance.
Shared College Backs Punt Tours:
3 people per socially-distanced row
Shared punt tours along the Backs can be taken daily, between 9:30 am and 6:30 pm. Our punts can seat up to 9 people in 3 socially distanced rows. Our shared tours joined on a walk-up basis and cannot be booked in advance.
Price: £70 available at our kiosks only
- See the Mathematical Bridge
- Pass by the world famous King's College Chapel
- Marvel at Clare College Gardens
- Admire the Wren Library
- Punt under the Bridge of Sighs
Know before you buy ▾
COVID-19 Safety ▾
Getting here ▾
- Shared punt tours along the Backs can be taken daily, departing every 15-30 minutes. Our punts can seat up to 9 people in 3 socially distanced rows.
- Your e-ticket can be redeemed at either our Mill Lane or Quayside Punting Stations and is easy to use: just present our staff with a print-out or show it to us on your mobile device and we will redeem it for reserved places on the next available tour. Availability is usually best on weekdays and weekend mornings.
- E-tickets are valid for 6 months from the date of purchase and are not refundable.
- E-tickets are subject to our Terms & Conditions.
Please call us on 01223 359750 if you have any questions about your purchase.
What we’re doing differently
- Requiring visitors to book in advance to avoid crowding and limiting numbers on each punt.
- Thoroughly sanitising all equipment (boat, cushions, pole and paddle) before and after each use.
- Implementing designated pedestrian route layouts and signage on site, along with dedicated members of staff to monitor the flow of people.
- Conducting briefings and hire handover procedures from 2 metres away.
What we ask of you
- Only punt with members of your own household or one additional household - including each household's support bubble.
- Bring your own hand sanitiser (and other PPE if you want to of course).
- Be confidently mobile as we have had to adapt how we hold the boat to get you on and off and are unable to offer you a supporting hand or arm.
- NOT to participate if you / anyone in your household have been infected or displayed any coronavirus symptoms, or have been in contact with anyone that has the virus, within the last 14 days.
During your visit
- In order to maintain social distancing, please arrive on time. Sadly, if you're more than 15 minutes late, we won’t be able to guarantee you entry. Your entry will be at the discretion of the Duty Manager, who will base their decision on visitor numbers and the ability to maintain social distancing.
- Have your booking confirmation ready to show the Scudamore’s staff member at the front entrance, preferably on your mobile device, to minimise contact.
- To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing, and government guidance throughout your visit. Please look out for our staff and any signs around the site, taking care to follow their guidance.
- Be aware that, as a safety precaution, we are currently unable to provide any customers with personal floatation devices.
- You are encouraged to clean or sanitise your hands immediately before and after your trip. Hand sanitiser will be available on site for the use of any customers who don’t have their own.
Mill Lane Punting Station
Quayside Punting Station
Parking and Public Transport
More information on Cambridge parking and public transport to our locations can be found here.
Have a question?
At what times can I use my tickets?
Your tickets are valid for up to 6 months and they can be redeemed daily from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm.
How long is the tour?
Our award-winning tour is 45 minutes long. Your tour will finish at the same place you started from.
Where can I go to redeem my ticket?
You can use your ticket at one of our two punting stations: Mill Lane or Quayside.
What if the weather changes on the day?
All of our tours are going as normal unless the river conditions are dangerous and we have to stop operating. We recommend bringing an umbrella in case the weather changes. Due to safety reasons, we're currently not providing our standard umbrellas and blankets.
How many people can each boat hold?
To observe social distancing we've limited our punts to 9 people each, split into 3 rows of 3 people each. If you're looking to have a group larger than 9 please contact our Bookings Team on 01223 359750 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any other questions?
Phone: 01223 359750