Download our College Backs map before you go.
Shared Cambridge Punt Tours
College Backs Punting Tour
The green tape grass rooted in the soft mud
Sways leisurely in the water;
I am willing to be such a waterweed
In the gentle flow of the River Cam.
From Second Farewell to Cambridge (Xu Zhi Mo)
The 1.6 km (1 mile) section of the Cam known as the College Backs is one of the loveliest stretches of river in England. Set amidst spacious lawns and intimate gardens are some of Cambridge's finest buildings, including King's College Chapel, the Bridge of Sighs and the Wren Library.
Our award-winning shared College Backs tour offers the perfect introduction to Cambridge. Sit back and enjoy the spectacular, world-famous views, whilst your expert river tour guide brings the city’s fascinating story to life. Our guides are at your service come rain or shine, so why not pay us a visit to experience Cambridge’s most popular tour?
We run regular scheduled 45-minute shared punting tours every day, conditions permitting. These can be joined on a walk-up basis at any time with an online Peak Ticket or before 12 noon with an online Off-peak Ticket.
Tickets starting from £59
Flexible online tickets
Guaranteed entry time
Shared Cambridge Punt Tours
Visiting Cambridge? Make some time to go punting, choosing from our peak, off-peak and super-off-peak options. Avoid the crowds and benefit from cheaper rates on one of our shared tours.
- See the Mathematical Bridge
- Pass by the world famous King's College Chapel
- Admire the Wren Library
- Punt under the Bridge of Sighs
- Go under the “Cam Bridge” at Magdalene College
Know before you buy ▾
COVID-19 Safety ▾
Getting here ▾
- Shared punt tours along the Backs can be taken daily, departing every 15-30 minutes. Our punts can seat up to 10 people in 2 socially distanced sections of 4 and 6 people maximum.
- You can book your tickets from either our Mill Lane or Quayside punting station.
- You can easily reschedule your booking up to 1 hour before departure by following the link in your booking confirmation.
- Tickets are valid for the date and time purchased and are not refundable. Don’t worry, you can easily rearrange your trip without paying an exchange fee up to 1 hour before departure by following the link in your confirmation. You’ll only pay the difference in ticket price, where applicable.
- Children under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Tickets are subject to our Terms & Conditions.
Please call us on 01223 359750 if you have any questions about your purchase.
What we’re doing differently
- Requiring visitors to book in advance to avoid crowding and limiting numbers on each punt.
- Thoroughly sanitising all equipment (boat, cushions, pole and paddle) before and after each use.
- Implementing designated pedestrian route layouts and signage on site, along with dedicated members of staff to monitor the flow of people.
- Conducting briefings and hire handover procedures from 2 metres away.
What we ask of you
- Only punt with members of your own household or one additional household - including each household's support bubble. Each booked row can only hold 1 household of up to 3 people. Each booked section can hold up to 2 households of up to 3 people each.
- Bring your own hand sanitiser (and other PPE if you want to of course).
- Be confidently mobile as we have had to adapt how we hold the boat to get you on and off and are unable to offer you a supporting hand or arm.
- NOT to participate if you / anyone in your household have been infected or displayed any coronavirus symptoms, or have been in contact with anyone that has the virus, within the last 14 days.
During your visit
- In order to maintain social distancing, please arrive on time. Sadly, if you're more than 15 minutes late, we won’t be able to guarantee you entry. Your entry will be at the discretion of the Duty Manager, who will base their decision on visitor numbers and the ability to maintain social distancing.
- Have your booking confirmation ready to show the Scudamore’s staff member at the front entrance, preferably on your mobile device, to minimise contact.
- To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing, and government guidance throughout your visit. Please look out for our staff and any signs around the site, taking care to follow their guidance.
- Be aware that, as a safety precaution, we are currently unable to provide any customers with personal floatation devices.
- You are encouraged to clean or sanitise your hands immediately before and after your trip. Hand sanitiser will be available on site for the use of any customers who don’t have their own.
Mill Lane Punting Station
Quayside Punting Station
Parking and Public Transport
More information on Cambridge parking and public transport to our locations can be found here.
Loading some wonderful products...
Have a question?
How long is the tour?
Our award-winning tour is 45 minutes long. Your tour will finish at the same place you started from.
Where do I need to go for my booking?
Your booking confirmation will state your departure point. It will be one of our two punting stations in the city: Mill Lane or Quayside.
Can I move or reschedule my ticket?
Yes, just follow the link in your email booking confirmation. You can easily rearrange your trip without paying an exchange fee up to 1 hour before departure. You’ll only pay the difference in ticket price, where applicable.
What if the weather changes on the day?
All of our tours run as normal unless the river conditions are dangerous and we have to stop operating. We recommend bringing an umbrella in case the weather changes. For safety reasons, we're currently not providing our standard umbrellas and blankets.
How many people can each boat hold?
To observe social distancing we've limited our punts to 10 people each, split into 4 socially-distanced, distinct rows. Three rows of 3 people and a row with a single passanger seat. If you're looking to have a group larger than 6 you can book a private punt tour.
Can I punt with members from a different household?
Yes. You can punt with your own household or one other household - including each household's respective bubble. Each household can be made up of 3 people maximum.
Any other questions?
If you have any other queries or special requests please do get in touch.
Phone: 01223 359750